Wednesday, 22 June 2011

Father's Day

It was the best Father's Day since, since when, since around 2001 maybe...... dairy-free sorta-Simnel cakes, hand-made executive deluxe card and presents all round, thanks chaps, you are the best!

Father's Day is a load of auld rubbish though, isn't it? I'm not sure of the exact details but I think Mother's Day is a tradition since at least the Industrial Revolution when kids were let out of the mills, factories, Gap sweatshops, workhouses and churches to go and visit their auld lady. Father's Day was invented by I think Hallmark™ in the late '50s as a means to sell more greetings cards.

I can't confirm that on Wikipedia however as the entries for both Father's Day and Mother's Day appear to have been written by the Hallmark™ PR team. But I have no doubt that any number of gentle readers who know this stuff properly can put me right on the matter.




No comments:

Post a Comment